Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Acrophobia


Acrophobia
-
one of the most common phobias and is an extreme fear of heights, which can induce feelings of panic, panic attacks, nausea and dizziness if a person is exposed to heights.

I guess all of us is afraid of height to a certain extend. Of course there will be this group that is super scare of height. Ms Lim falls under this group. She was talking to me about going up to the Shanghai Oriental Pearl Tower when it strike me that she was supposed to be afraid of height. But she has been asking me and Ms Wong to go News Asia Bar when it is located on the 72 storey lor.

Ms Lim went into some theory of why she is not afraid to be on some skyscraper but is fearful of taking the Singapore Flyer. Seriously if you ask me, I don't understand what she is talking about. Hahaa...

Anyway I found some info online. They actually suggested for patient to receive "exposure therapy". They claim that under the guidance of professionals, the patient is guided through staged experiences of height, often first starting with virtual reality views of high places. This can help to gradually desensitize the individual to the experience of being in high places.

Looking at this I suggest we draw out a treatment plan for Ms Lim. Hehee.. MSS retreat team, plan some interesting activities hor. Maybe before that Ms Lim we should seriously go for a ride at the Singapore Flyer :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe her flight to US will be sufficient exposure therapy for her.