Today is the start of the lunar 7th month aka Hungry Ghost Festival. There will be so call "celebration" for the whole month. Well I don't think it is really celebration lah despite having those "Ge Tai" (concerts) and dinners that action things.
Since young, my Mum has already educated us on a list of "Don't". This morning my dear Malay kawan already ask me, "You not joining us for dinner becos you cannot stay out late is it?" Haha..... I think she is quite clever to ask me this question. But NO that is not the reason for not joining them. A few weeks ago, Bimbo Lim reminded me that I am not allowed to go swimming during the 7th month. Surprise to hear that from an ABC Bimbo Lim. Haha..
Well these are some superstitious things that I was told since young. Not that I believe in them or that I am totally compliant. But I believe in respecting the religion, respecting the god or ghosts that people are praying to. The most important thing I learn from my Mum is to keep my mouth shut when I see people praying. Not only is to prevent offending the god/ ghosts but also to prevent offending those people that are praying.
Well these are some superstitious things that I was told since young. Not that I believe in them or that I am totally compliant. But I believe in respecting the religion, respecting the god or ghosts that people are praying to. The most important thing I learn from my Mum is to keep my mouth shut when I see people praying. Not only is to prevent offending the god/ ghosts but also to prevent offending those people that are praying.
I went down to help Mum with the prayer just now. I was folding the "paper money" for the past few nights. Anyway it was very windy so we had difficulties lighting the candles. So Mum told me to forget it. Claimed that god/ghosts would understand. Well I guess we need to be flexible lah. But there was this Uncle who was very persistent. Hahahaa.... Very funny! He told us that he refused to give up as he had already arrange his candles in a very nice way (putting them in a straight line). Obviously arranging the candles is an achievement to that Uncle. Yah, so this Uncle was still squatting there trying to light the candles when we finish burning our offerings. Hahahaa... I really wonder if he succeed or not leh. I am sure whoever the god or ghost is will be touch by his sincerity.
No comments:
Post a Comment